5 Amazing Facts About Massage
Since the beginning of Désirables, we believe that massage is one the best way to (re)connect with your partner. The discovery of every inch of your partner’s body, the different sensations created by the hands, lips, tongue and by temperature fluctuations and textures… Massage is the perfect tool to relax, forget your worries and reconnect with your five senses in order to be present and mindful.
The Power of Touch
Touch is THE first of the five human senses to awaken. Touch is so important that we know for a fact that in order to keep babies healthy you need to touch and hold them. Pioneers in sexology, Masters & Johnson, were already aware of the importance of touch :
Did you know?
- Skin is the biggest organ of the human body. This very unique organ covers a total of 18 to 20 square metres and every square inch contains close to a 1000 nerve endings that transfers every tactile sensation to the brain. A healthy skin is essential for the overall health of the human body. It's a barrier against bacterias and infections, it helps regulate the internal temperatures and is an incredible source of pleasure.
- Massage can trigger an hormones galore in the brain! This activity transmits to your brain a message that helps the release of 3 important hormones related to happiness, love and pleasure: Serotonine, Oxytocine & Dopamine. Tu put it simply, giving and receiving a massage is one of the best way to create durable intimacy in a relationship.
- In your brain, a massage gives the same kind of pleasure as sex. In other words, when you receive a massage the dopamine levels increase. Dopamine is a neurotransmetter in charge of the brain's reward system. Other kind of situations are known to release high levels of dopamine : having sex, when you take alcool, drugs or even when you eat sugar. To learn more about this curious "reward system of the brain", here's a great Ted-ed on the subject. Click here to watch it
- The more "erotic" kind of massage take its roots in Buddhism. In ancient Eastern cultures, Buddhism brought a new will to combine body and mind as one entity. As early as 1800 BC, there are mentions of "Ayurvedic Massage", a form of massage that focuses on sensuality.
- Hippocrates, better known as the father of medecine, was a massage fan. In his days, massage was part of everyday life and commonly used in publics baths and antique termes. It was used to relax the body, but also as a medical tool against infection and other illness.
If you are a fan of massage, make sure to read our blog on the 3 steps to a perfect massage at home! Let us know what caught your attention, did you prefer the brain, the history or the biology part? Do you have any other amazing facts about massage? If you wish to receive more tips and tricks about massages make sure to subscribe to our newsletter!
➡️ Discover our massage collection!
- The Science of Trust, Science of People, http://www.scienceofpeople.com/2015/08/the-science-of-trust/)
- Your body by the numbers, Medicine Online, http://www.meds.com/archive/mol-cancer/2000/05/msg01333.html
- How massage can benefit our relationships, Massage Therapy Palo Alto,
- Petite histoire du massage, Malea Massage, https://www.malea-massage.com/petite-histoire-massage-a-7.html
- Skin : How to care for our biggest organ, Huffington Post, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/deborah-burnes/skin-care_b_1217007.html
- Osez les massages érotique, Éditions La Musardine, 2012, 110 pages